A Laundry List of Side Effects
Omeprazole medication is the generic name for Prilosec and Prilosec OTC. It is used to treat ulcers (including stomach ulcers) and symptoms of GERD. Omeprazole medication is considered a proton pump inhibitor, which blocks production of stomach acid to reduce symptoms from acid reflux.
Omeprazole medication is a prescription drug. Unfortunately, even if you take the correct dosage, it can still result in a wide variety of side effects that range from the mildly unpleasant, to the embarrassing, to the downright deadly.
Omeprazole side effects include:
- Sensitivity to light
- Loss of taste
- Swelling of the hands, feet, legs and more
- Mouth inflammation
- Gastrointestinal infection
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle aches, pain or tenderness
- Stomach pain
- Light headedness
- Overall feeling of being ill
- Dermatitis and skin problems
- Hair loss
- Blurred vision
- Anaphylactic shock
- Kidney problems
- Male breast enlargement
- Joint pain
- Dry mouth
- Impotence or other sexual side effects
- Profuse sweating
- Blood and bone marrow issues
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Toxic reactions
- Problems with metabolism
- Liver problems
Now compare the side effects of omeprazole medication with the symptoms it is supposed to treat:
- Sore throat
- Chest pain
Obviously, the side effects of omeprazole medication can be much worse and far more dangerous than the symptoms it is intended to treat. Fortunately there are many natural health remedies you can use to treat and prevent symptoms of GERD and acid reflux. A natural GERD and acid reflux remedy should include:
- Eliminating bad habits that increase acidity. Whether or not you are following a natural plan for treatment or decide to risk the dangers of taking omeprazole, you should eliminate bad habits such as smoking and drinking alcohol which cause acidity in the body.
- Changing diet by reducing acidic foods and increasing the ratio of alkaline foods. You need to reduce the amount of acid in your diet in order to reduce the amount of acid produced in your stomach. Try consuming a ratio of 2-3 parts alkaline foods to acidic foods.
- Getting regular exercise. Take a short walk after meals to promote better digestion and metabolism.
- Knowing what activities to avoid. Do not lie down or bend over after meals.
- Using natural remedies and home cures to balance ph levels. There are many natural remedies for acid reflux to help balance ph levels to ensure the right balance of stomach acid to aid proper digestion. These include a wide range of herbs, natural foods and drinks that are easy to find and incorporate into your daily routine. They are safe and do not carry dangerous side effects like omeprazole medication.
Learn Exactly What GERD Is And The Importance Of Taking Control Of The Problem…Today
Reflux Remedy Home | Acid Reflux Blog | Acid Reflux Articles |
© 2010 Barton Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Toll Free: 1.888.356.1146 Outside US: +1.617.603.0085
Phone Support is available between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST
PO Box 50, Brandon, SD 57005 USA